Thursday, March 18, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Creatures
By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Pages:

563

Book Description:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

A quote:

Any book is a Good Book, and wherever they keep the Good Book safe is also the House a the Lord.

Any thoughts:

Beautiful Creatures is one that is brilliantly woven and contains everything you could possibly ever want in a novel -- romance, paranormal, mystery, a wonderful setting, and history.

...Though the history part slowed me down. I have to be honest but I’m not really into those kinds of things like the Civil War, which is most likely the reason why it took me about a week to finish it. The first two hundred pages or so are meant to be understood because those facts will come up for sure later on in the story. That’s why I slowed down to let it all sink in. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t like the overall novel, because I really did.

First of all, the writing is astounding, and seeing everything through Ethan’s eyes made it better. He is such a nice, kind, really caring boy. I think I’ve got a new literary crush. Lena is also a great character. She was a big mystery to me at first -- still is, but less of a mystery -- and I’m still a little anxious to know her better, especially the thing about her real name. The rest of the characters are amazing, too! Amma, The Sisters, Macon Ravenwood, Marian, Link...they are all very likeable. I hope to read more about them in the sequel and I hope to find out more about Ridley, who seemed to change my opinion of her in the end.

The storyline is amazingly creative. With high school drama, not-so-normal family gatherings, a person in town who is looked upon as Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird, and a newly moved-in girl who Ethan has dreamt about but never met...you can’t go wrong. And the end was...strange yet incredible.

Also, one thing I kept thinking about while reading was the five senses. You know -- touch, feel, smell, hearing, sight? Each one of them is included so I visualized the setting and everything else in the tiniest of details, making it all a wonderful scenario. Garcia and Stohl have created a world that is unique and imaginative. Beautiful Creatures is probably one of the most beautiful novels I’ve ever read. When I say beautiful, I mean both inside and out because have you seen the cover? So gorgeous.

7 comments:

  1. wait, how did i miss after all those reviews that this is from a boy's point of view?
    I NEED to read this (I am now officially the last person in the world not to have read this), but I can't seem to find my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O it engages the 5 senses? I love that! Noted :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing! I am in fact interested in the Civil War so I definitely need to bump this up in my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review! I've been hearing a lot about this book but never quite understood why everyone was talking about it. Now I do! I'll be reading this for sure.

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant review! I have to agree the cover is
    beautiful! I haven't read this one yet, but I'm
    so looking forward to reading it. Your review
    was wonderful and it made me want to read Beautiful Creatures
    even more! Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Justine, you know I haven't been on your blog in FOREVER toooo; sorry, sorry!! I'll catch up soon, I promise. :D
    And awesome review. I absolutely loved BC too, and I agree the Civil War history was loooong but the descriptions was beautiful. Ethan = such a nice, cute boy. :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, I loved the review! I'm SO undecided. I don't know if I read it or not. I've read too many positive reviews on this one... I only want to spend money on great books. I'll let you know when I decide. :-)

    P.S.: I really missed commenting on your blog... So sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)