Thursday, April 12, 2012

Justine's Thoughts: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick


Crescendo (Hush, Hush #2)
By Becca Fitzpatrick
Source: Won a signed copy 
Pages:
 427
A quote:
Everything had come into sharp focus : his smooth words, his black, glinting eyes, his broad experience with lies, seduction, women. I'd fallen in love with the devil.

Thoughts (Vague Spoilers):
Expectations: I’ve heard many things about Crescendo with the majority being that it is unfortunately not so good as Hush, Hush. And I might have to agree because I still have mixed feelings about the novel.

About Setting:
It has a very ominous setting in Coldwater, Maine considering that it is a place where a lot of fallen angels are found. Nora lives in a farmhouse with her mom gone almost at all times, which leaves her alone and free to do anything. In front of the farmhouse is a forest, which would look creepy at night. The overall setting feels like an almost deserted area with a really eerie air.

About Characters: Nora is her usual self. The difference is: she does more of her silly decision making and her emotions are going berserk. Not that I blame her for the latter -- I think I would be utterly confused about the signs Patch is giving. Patch is more mysterious than usual as well. He is keeping things from Nora and it’s obviously driving her insane. The swooning feeling I’ve felt for him has disappeared since it seems like he’s missing in most parts of the novel. Instead, when he comes into a scene I feel a sort of aching that must come from Nora and her pain that Patch is causing.
Vee is still so amazing...how I missed her! I love her attitude and her endless talks and her brilliant comebacks. Marcie, on the other hand, is the root of Vee’s comebacks (since Nora doesn’t do anything about Marcie). She is a selfless bitch who likes making Nora suffer. There is also a new character named Scott who is from Nora’s past and he becomes a part of an important revelation. More information about Nora’s parents is unravelled, but again by the end of the novel I was left with nagging questions about Patch’s actions. But hey, we get to find out Patch’s real name!

About Plot: Like in Hush, Hush the mystery and suspense aspects were ever present. They perfectly went well with the dark setting. I was always curious to know what was going on because I said before that I felt confused almost all the time. Especially with Nora’s emotions jumping to and fro all the time that it seem like she’s PMSing. She just cannot make up her mind! But whoa, the twists are there waiting to spring at you. I for sure was caught up in it. The ending leaves you with a cliffhanger just when it was starting to get good. Ouch for me.

Overall Rating: Y Y Y Y
It was either a 3 or a 4 for this one and I waited until the end before I decided. It turns out that’s when everything became clear. Becca Fitzpatrick can really keep you out of the loop and waiting then she gets you real good. What a talent she has. And what a wait it will be to get my hands on Silence.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)