Thursday, January 12, 2012

Justine's Thoughts: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell


The Carrie Diaries
By Candace Bushnell

Source: Library
Pages:
 389


Book Description:
THE CARRIE DIARIES is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.

Before SEX AND THE CITY, Carrie Bradshaw was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She’s ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend’s betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, THE CARRIE DIARIES is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression ehr early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we’ll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.


A quote:
When it comes to people -- don’t write about who you know; but what you know of human nature.

Rating:
4/5

Any thoughts:
I didn’t know anything about Sex and the City. I didn’t know who Carrie was, how old she was when she was a senior in high school and how she has changed since then. I supposed I would feel lost; instead, it just felt like starting a whole new young adult novel.

But the first thing that had me laughing at myself was this: I didn’t know it took place in the 1980s. I noticed that people wear vintage clothing, like white patent leather shoes, and even typing on an old school typewriter. That’s when I started to get suspicious. In Carrie’s high school, there is drama everywhere and every time, which I could not tell apart from today’s usual plots. It seemed the same, which can be a good thing so it doesn’t alienate anyone. And there is never a dull moment, especially now that Sebastian Kydd goes to school.

I don’t love Carrie, but I also don’t hate her. What I find annoying however are the choices she makes. On the other hand, I understand that it’s high school and she’s going through a metamorphosis; it’s a coming-of-age story after all. I’m glad for her wanting to be a writer, and how she strongly believes that it is what she wants to do. Her friends are fantastic and fun. They smoke together and go to clubs together. They all experience bumps in the road, challenging their friendships as they near the end of high school.

Fans of Sex and the City would be curious to know how Carrie’s character developed, and I strongly recommend this for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)