Thursday, February 2, 2012

Justine's Thoughts: Hold Still by Nina LaCour


Hold Still
By Nina LaCour

Source: Won
Pages:
 229


Book Description:
That night Ingrid told Caitlin, I’ll go wherever you go. But by dawn, Ingrid was dead and Caitlin was alone. Suddenly Caitlin has to deal with a completely unfamiliar life -- a life without the art, the laughter, the music, and the joy she shared with her best friend. When she finds the journal Ingrid left behind, Caitlin gets a chance to learn about another side of her friend; and the journal becomes her guide as she deals with forging new friendships, finding a first love, and learning to live without the one person who knew her best.


A quote:
Crushes are supposed to be fun, aren’t they? They definitely aren’t supposed to be so torturous.

Rating:
4/5

Any thoughts:
Hold Still is a quick read but it was all the while very worth it. I felt the emotions emanating from Caitlin from beginning to end, though at some parts, it was as if Caitlin was unattached to the present life feeling nothing. It was at those times I thought it was hard to connect with her. The grief and pain still lingered around and the fact that her best friend committed suicide made it emotionally hard to take in.

It was clear that LaCour focused upon the subject of grief and suicide. She showed us more than one side of the story through Ingrid’s journal, which I found to be helpful. I felt compelled to Ingrid and her life. She is an interesting character that I enjoyed. Other characters in the novel needed more development, but I would have to say that Ingrid is my favourite.

I loved how the aspects of photography and music are included. It was easy to relate because like Caitlin and Ingrid, I love photography. It’s another way of capturing the beauty of the world around you. Through all the anxiety and sorrow, Caitlin turns to photography and music to help her go through the difficult times.
Hold Still is not an easy nor a light read. I didn’t cry, like I expected, but the book overall is moving. It is one that I would recommend to everyone, especially those who loved Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)