Sunday, November 1, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

Peeps

By Scott Westerfeld

Pages:

304

Book Description:

Okay let’s clear up some myths about vampires. First of all, you won’t see me using the V-word much. In the night watch, we prefer the term parasite positives, or peeps for short.

The main thing to remember is that there’s no magic involved. No flying. No transforming into bats or rats either. We’re talking about a disease.

---

After a chance encounter with a mysterious woman one night, Cal Thompson’s life is changed forever. He’s been infected with an insidious parasite. The good news: he’s only a carrier -- still sane, without the worst of the symptoms. The bad news: he’s infected all his former girlfriends -- and now they’ve turned into what Cal calls peeps. The rest of us call them vampires. And it’s Cal’s job to hunt hem down before they create even more of their kind. . . .

A quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of parasites.
This is where I live.

Any thoughts:

  • A wonderful novel. It reminds me of Uglies, Scott Westerfeld’s series of novels, which I’ve read ages ago and now I don’t remember anything about it other than it was a Sci-Fi novel. So is Peeps. But it’s written differently. Every other chapter it goes on to explain a few facts and it is quite interesting to know all about parasites, really. I cringed at least once because I don’t know anything about parasites and reading about how they function, where they’re found, what they do, the effects they cause...well, let’s just say that I’ve never thought about that.
  • I love the plot of this story even though the end will make you feel like it is unfinished. That’s why a sequel to Peeps was created. It begins with how Peeps was finished...so it makes sense, but it’s focused on other people.
  • While reading the novel, I realized how much I missed the action. There’s action in this story, which I really love, and it’s just been so long since I started reading novels with action in it. It’s awesome, just to let you know. Scott Westerfeld knows how to brilliantly describe super cool moves.
  • And the characters. They’re great. Cal is the one telling the story and also the one to explain the cool facts about parasites and evolution. The others - Lace, Dr. Rat, Manny, Sarah, Morgan (and there’s a bit more you get to read about) - are interesting, but I just wish the novel was longer so I got to know them better. I felt that the time sped by (in the novel) when he talked to the characters. But anyway, all in all, the characters are amazing. I love Lace ;)
  • That’s about it. Coming up next is The Last Days, the sequel. Oooh. I’m on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)