Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kiss and Tell (2)


Kiss and Tell is a new meme hosted at Fantasy 4 Eva.


Undiscovered Gyrl
by Allison Burnett

Only on the internet can you have so many friends and be so lonely.

Beautiful, wild, funny, and lost, Katie Kampenfelt is taking a year off before college to find her passion. Ambitious in her own way, Katie intends to do more than just smoke weed with her boyfriend, Rory, and work at the bookstore. She plans to seduce Dan, a thirty-two-year-old film professor.

Katie chronicles her adventures in an anonymous blog, telling strangers her innermost desires, shames, and thrills. But when Dan stops taking her calls, when her alcoholic father suffers a terrible fall, and when she finds herself drawn into a dangerous new relationship, Katie's fearless narrative begins to crack, and dark pieces of her past emerge.

Sexually frank, often heartbreaking, and bursting with devilish humor, Undiscovered Gyrl is an extraordinarily accomplished novel of identity, voyeurism, and deceit.

Thoughts
This has been on the top of my wishlist for a while now. I was hoping I'd either win it or borrow it from the library...but nope. No luck at all. It's not in my library (it doesn't sound quite popular, I'm thinking). And it's a bit tough to win something when no one is giving it away, yes? Argh, it makes me mad because I want to read this so badly. I could always buy it...but I don't do that. Hehe. Anyway. I just really, really like the sound of this. Novels about one's identity interest me.

Assumed Rating
8 Kiss And Tells

---

Liar
by Justine Larbalestier

Micah freely admits that she's a compulsive liar. And that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents. But when her boyfriend, Zach, dies under brutal circumstances, the shock might be enough to set her straight. Or maybe not. Especially when lying comes as naturally to her as breathing. Was Micah dating Zach? Or was Sarah his real girlfriend? And are the stories Micah tells about inheriting a "family gene" real or are they something that only exists in her mind?

Breathtaking in its plotting, and narrated by one of the most psychologically complex young
women to emerge since Sybil, Liar is a roller-coaster that will have listeners grasping for the truth. Honestly.

Thoughts
It's still on my shelf. I've won this one a loooong time ago, but I keep putting it off! Darn those library books that somehow find their way up on my list of priorities. I've never read a book by Justine Larbalestier, but have always wanted to. This sounds like a good one to start with. You see? It's about identities too! :D

Assumed Rating
8 Kiss and Tells

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)