Thursday, July 22, 2010

Justine's Mini Thoughts: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

The Knife of Never Letting Go
By Patrick Ness

Pages:

479

Book Description:

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...

A quote:

“But there’s always hope,” Ben says. “You always have to hope.”

Any thoughts:

Unique and thoughtful, The Knife of Never Letting Go gives an interesting insight into a world of chaos. With a slow yet fascinating journey full of encounters, it offers a dark and different version of the treatment of men and women.

Although I initially found it hard to get into the style of the narrator’s language, I eventually became used to the flow. There are also good qualities revealed in Todd (the narrator), which made me admire him. The other characters are well-developed as well, causing me to love them all. I had several unanswered questions about some of them but I’m hoping I’ll get to them when I read the second instalment. Yes, there are suspenseful and disturbing parts that stir up all kinds of shrilling imagery in my mind yet I couldn’t get into it no matter how hard I tried. The end result is myself slowing down or re-reading. But there was one part when I found myself crying like crazy. Tears always come for me whenever an animal is in danger and that’s all I have to say. In the end, though, we get a huge cliffhanger that is enough for me to make me want to read the next book immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)