Thursday, July 1, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver
By Maggie Stiefvater

Pages:

390

Book Description:

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

A quote:

Books are more real when you read them outside.

Any thoughts:

What a fantastic, heartbreaking tale! Maggie Stiefvater creates a world in which I would most definitely like to live in. Werewolves, passion, friendship and mystery. All in all, it’s one heck of a novel that you must read!

I’ll start with the writing. I can simply describe it in one word - beautiful. The way Stiefvater describes the scenery captures my heart because I’m the type to appreciate nature through photography. The fact that she also included a character who loves photography made me so very happy. Because of Stiefvater’s writing, I was able to feel the characters and their emotions, especially Sam. He’s an emotional character who can think of lyrics at the top of his head. He’s so poetic and great that I often found myself swooning over him.

Sam and Grace...They are one amazing couple. Since the chapters switch narration between Sam and Grace, we are able to understand both sides of the relationship, which is why I just love them so much! They have tons of memorable moments together and I would smile and squeal every time.

The plot had me at hello. I already knew from the very start that I was going to love this novel. Though I have never read a story about werewolves, I’m certain that I will be reading more of them. Stiefvater’s take on werewolves is something that is unique, however, which is a very good thing, as I was fully engrossed. They are sad creatures, but I would have to say that they are my favourite creatures (out of the fantasy world).

The ending is enough to satisfy me though I am still curious as to what actually happened. But I would recommend reading this book all the way. It is now one of my favourites and I absolutely can’t wait to read Linger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)