Monday, December 14, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: The Vampire Diaries (Book 1 and 2) by L.J. Smith

The Vampire Diaries - The Awakening and The Struggle
The Vampire Diaries - The Fury and Dark Reunion

By L.J. Smith

Pages:

492 (The Awakening and The Struggle)
520 (The Fury and Dark Reunion)

Book Description:

(The Awakening and The Struggle)

Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.

Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.

Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he’d kill to possess her.

Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

A quote:

“It doesn’t matter if you can’t say it right now. I’ll say it for both of us. And someday you’ll learn.” - (The Awakening)

Any thoughts:

I didn’t get the chance to review the first book (The Awakening and The Struggle) and I’ve only read the first and second one, so I’ll talk about The Vampire Diaries series in general. It may be confusing...but each book contains two volumes, the first one has The Awakening and The Struggle and the second one has The Fury and Dark Reunion, so there are two parts in each book. I’ve yet to read the third one and I’m so excited! Anyway, after I finished reading the first book, I immediately thought to myself that I had to get the next one. It ended at a part where I wanted to know something really bad -- you’ll understand when you read it or if you have read it already -- so I went to the store and bought it. But the sad news was that I had to wait. A part of me wanted to take it slow because I didn’t want it to end or something (ever had that feeling when reading an extremely good book?) and at the same time, I wanted to read what happened next!

L.J. Smith writes beautifully in third person, piercing into the minds of characters to bring a sense of suspense and mystery. Which I love. Very much. She captures the attention of readers in doing so and engages them to go deep into the plot, which is very well organized. The characters are amazing. From the first book to the second, emotions were brought to life because of them. Their actions stayed the same throughout (not in a bad way), staying true to their character. It was like L.J. Smith can easily write as the character as if she was him or her. That’s what I admire about her writing. And now I understand why people come to really like the series. It’s full of deep love, unexpected twists, emotional events, friendship bonds...and so much more. It’s got a lot of things you would look for in a novel, or in this case, a series. But now I have countless unanswered questions, which I’m about to crack open in the next two volumes.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series but have you had a chance to watch the show? I would really like to know how they compare. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I like your description: "deep love, unexpected twists, emotional events, friendship bonds, and so much more"
    You are totally selling me on this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought The Struggle was soo good! I love the way it ended off with such a huge cliffhanger. I still have to read the remainder of the series.

    Also...

    Book Snob: The books are TOTALLY different from the TV show.

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)