Thursday, April 22, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins

Pages:

374

Book Description:

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.

A quote:

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

Any thoughts:

I lost count of how many times I have been spoiled before reading The Hunger Games. But because I became lost in the book, deeply involved in the matter of everything in it, none of the spoilers affected me. Yes, it is that good. And if you haven’t started the series yet, I suggest you get The Hunger Games and read it now.

One of the things I love is the plot -- very unique, influential, organized, and amazing. The setting Suzanne Collins has created matches this type of plot, and it is so brilliant. You get a vivid picture in your mind of what the world in this book looks like. [(no spoilers ahead) To those who have read it: how did you picture the Cornucopia? I remember it being described as a golden cone that sticks out of the ground, and that’s exactly how I pictured it. But how were people supposed to climb it if it’s a cone? Don’t they slide right down?]

And the thing I love most is the characters. Katniss is a wonderful heroine. I admire her and her strength and her archery skills and everything else. She’s awesome, to say the least. One lucky girl, too. She has two guys pining for her and I do like them both, but I would have to go with Peeta. He is...heartbreaking, and that is all I’m going to say, but it’s true; he makes my heart break. The other guy is Gale, and although we don’t see much of him, he is good for Katniss and if not for Peeta, I would choose him. But anyway, I won’t get into the Eternal Debate (which you take a look at over at Steph Su’s blog).

All I am trying to say is, this book is unbelievably good. And I am absolutely dying of the excruciating pain of waiting for the third book, Mockingjay.

If you would like to view Steff’s thoughts on The Hunger Games, click here.

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I also loved this book :)

    I also really like your new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I'm glad you liked it! I'm also dying for Mockingjay to come out, I can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I just finished the first two books last month, and even though I had been incredibly spoiled, I still LOVED the books! Mainly my spoilers came from reading the description of the 2nd book before I was finished with the first book.

    also, for the cornucopia: http://dolphinblueinc.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/cornucopia2.jpg

    I imagined it like the thanksgiving cornucopia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, that link didn't work. But if you google cornucopia, you'll see pictures of the thanksgiving cornucopia. That's what I imagined it to look like. Except, instead of food inside, I imagine it was filled with all the the supplies they needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this book and the sequel, Catching Fire! I pictured the cornucopia lying on the ground rather than sticking up in the air. Now, of course, you must read book #2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review for a wonderful book.
    Thanks for the comments on my blog and good luck in the contest -- off now to find out more about mortal instruments - glad you are a Chuck fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely one of my favorite books. I am anxious for Mockingjay too, although maybe not as painfully anxious as you. Have a great weeked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from the Saturday Network
    This book is amazing and Catching Fire is just as great. I actually got my younger brother into THG, who never reads. I can't wait until Mockingjay finally comes out!

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)