Saturday, April 17, 2010

In My Mailbox (16)


In My Mailbox is held weekly by Kristi at The Story Siren. Click here for details on how to participate.


Justine:


The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

---
So I'm reading this one right now and all I can say is that it's poetic, descriptive, interesting and very good so far. :D

---


The Knife of Never Letting Go
by Patrick Ness

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...

---

I really cannot wait to read this one!

14 comments:

  1. Aw, The Book Thief is amazing! I really hope you like it! It's a must read, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knife of never letting go its great and so different from other books out there, and i want to read the book thief so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound great.I've always wanted to read The Book Thief.Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief is an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read either but both look great! Enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool :)

    I'm loving the new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that The Knife of Never Letting Go is fantasic! It's a book that I've been wanting to read for a while.

    I love your new layout! It's simple yet so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about the book thief! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! Both sound fab! Happy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read both of these books! I hope you are enjoying them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have heard fantastic things about both of these!! Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two great books to read! Enjoy them. And also I like your new layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Book Thief. I've never heard of the other one, but it sounds really good!

    My mailbox is here.

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)