Thursday, April 21, 2011

Justine's Thoughts: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook
By Nicholas Sparks

Source: Library
Pages:
207

Rating:

5/5


Book Description:

At thirty-one, Noah Calhoun, back in coastal North Carolina after World War II, is haunted by images of the girl he lost more than a decade earlier. At twenty-nine, socialite Allie Nelson is about to marry a wealthy lawyer, but she cannot stop thinking about the boy who long ago stole her heart. Thus begins the story of a love so enduring and deep it can turn tragedy into triumph, and may even have the power to create a miracle...

A quote:

Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.

Any thoughts:

At last, I have read the famous novel, The Notebook, the tale of love. Some have called it cheesy and sappy. Some have claimed it their ultimate favourite. Me, a hopeless romantic although I cannot relate to a love as deep as this, I found it poetic.

Nicholas Sparks’ beautiful imagery and unique voice is captivating. The way it is told is like a story within a story in which Allie and Noah bring up sweet memories from the past. Their connection intensely develops in a short period of time at the mention of the summer they had spent together years ago. Their love is so profound and breathless, that it appealed to me.

Of course, it also made me cry my eyes out. Noah has a true heart and he is willing to do anything for Allie. It even breaks my heart when he aches for her, especially in the states that they’re in when they’re living in the nursing homes. That part tore me into pieces.

The book focused more on the part before Allie’s engagement, when she visits Noah at the house he built, however, the present time introduces and concludes the entire story. In the movie, it is the same with the present, but it is mostly based on the summer when Allie and Noah first met. If I had to choose which I like more, it would be the movie, which I initially watched first quite a long time ago. Something about Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling’s chemistry and acting and real relationship made it believable. And it made me cry as well.

An unforgettable love story, indeed, as they say. I wish I had my own copy. I could definitely read it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)