Monday, October 12, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


Naomi and Ely’s No Kiss List
By Rachel Cohn and David Levithan


Pages:

230

Book Description:

Naomi and Ely have been inseparable since childhood - partially because they’ve grown up across the hall from each other in the same Manhattan apartment building, and also because they’re best friends. Soul mates. Or are they? Just to be safe, they’ve created a NO KISS LIST - their list of people who are absolutely off-kissing-limits for both of them. The NO KISS LIST protects their friendship and ensures that nothing will rock the foundation of Naomi and Ely: the institution.

Until Ely kisses Naomi’s boyfriend. And a fateful piece of gum in the wrong place at the wrong time changes everything.

Soon a rift of universal proportions threatens to destroy their friendship, and it remains to be seen whether Naomi and Ely can find their way toward new soul-mate prospects...and back to one another.

A quote:

We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we’re wrong. Someone we trust.

Any thoughts:

Now, I know that Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have already written a novel together called Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, which was made into a movie (I watched it and absolutely loved it!). I haven’t read the novel, but I’ve heard positive things about it. That was why I was so excited to read this novel, to get a possible first impression by these two authors.

I can’t say I didn’t love it because I really did! The relationship between Naomi and Ely is incredible. They have such a strong bond that it actually makes me jealous of what they have. But in the beginning, I have to admit that I was a tiny bit confused. Maybe it was just me. It was only until the second chapter when I started to understand better. Then I reread the first chapter again. Yeah, I guess it was just me.

The chapters are in different points of view. They’re not only written in Naomi and Ely’s perspectives, but in the minor characters’ perspectives as well so we get to fully understand what’s happening with everyone. This means it would be totally awesome when this appears on the big screen. What? That’s right. I said when not if. It says on the book cover ‘soon to be a major motion picture’ and I’ve heard that Hayden Paniettiere is going to star as the gorgeous Naomi. Perfect! She would make such a great Naomi!

There were underlying messages about love and most importantly, friendship. On top of that, the characters are completely hilarious. It was never hard to identify who was speaking...although there are characters named Bruce the First and Bruce the Second. I became confused because a) it could be one character who changed and became someone else (okay, I admit, that was highly unlikely...but you never know!) and b) it could be two different and separate characters. The latter ended up being correct. And I ended up knocking on my noggin.

All in all, this was one heck of a book. Sure, there may be mature content that is not suitable for children, but for teens, I definitely suggest you read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)