Monday, October 12, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: Dreamland by Sarah Dessen


Dreamland
By Sarah Dessen

Pages:

250

Book Description:

Ever since she started going out with Rogerson Biscoe, Caitlin seems to have fallen into a semiconscious dreamland where nothing is quite real. Rogerson is different from anyone Caitlin has ever known. He’s magnetic. He’s compelling. He’s dangerous. Being with him makes Caitlin forget about everything else - her missing sister, her withdrawn mother, her lacklustre life. But what happens when being with Rogerson becomes a problem than being without him?

A quote:

"Wake up, Caitlin", Mr. Lensing had said. But what he didn't under­stand was that this dreamland was preferable, walking through this life half-sleeping, everything at arm's length or farther away.

Any thoughts:

This isn’t the first book by Sarah Dessen I read (I have yet to review the others!) so I was really excited to go and read it. Friendship, love and family are used to make this book seem powerful and meaningful, just the way I like it.

Sarah Dessen did a fantastic job all in all. I adored the way she described how much time had passed, especially when the story went back in the past to illustrate Caitlin’s memories with analogies. Boy, how I love it when she uses metaphors. All the imagery she paints in my mind, how it’s easier to understand the similarities...I love them all.

Though the plot is something I know many women can relate to, there was something about it I didn’t like. I’m not sure what it is, but it didn’t really get to me. Certain times while reading this book (especially in the end), I admit that I cried. What Caitlin had to go through was so haunting and heartbreaking yet she didn’t do anything about it. I started to dislike her for that, but then I gradually understood her reasons and I knew it was very hard.

I highly recommend this book. You can learn a few lessons just by reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)