Monday, October 12, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret?
By Sophie Kinsella

Pages:

372

Book Description:

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets:

Secrets from her boyfriend:
I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken.

Secrets from her mother:
I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur.

Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world:
I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is.

Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger...Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows ever single humiliating detail about her...

A quote:

The bouquet is unbelievable. Roses, freesias, amazing big purple flowers, fantastic dark red pom-pom things, dark green frondy bits, pale green ones that look just like asparagus.

Any thoughts:

Sophie Kinsella is known to have written the famous Shopaholic series featuring Becky Bloomwood, which was made into a movie and I really loved it even though I cried tears of happiness. Yes, it was really good.

It was fun to read Emma Corrigan’s thoughts throughout the story. She’s the typical chick-lit character: hilarious, smitten and irrepressible, but I enjoyed being in her mind. It was a laugh-out-loud kind of funny and I also couldn’t help but squeal and giggle at some parts.

The plot is a pleasurable one, easy to enjoy, but it became predictable. It was like a fairytale in which the heroine gets her ‘perfect man’, however, it wasn’t boring. This book was actually hard to put down. It’s also a light read and once I was gripped, I couldn’t stop reading.

All the while while reading, I thought, “Hey, it wouldn’t be so bad if this book was made into a movie.” So I googled. It turns out that it’s a possibility because this was over a year ago and nothing has been done since. Kate Hudson is also rumoured to star as Emma. But who knows what’s going to happen, right? (...though it would be really awesome if it did happen!)

The novel had me thinking about secrets in the end, which I suppose is what Sophie Kinsella’s aim was. Is it a good idea to keep secrets from others or to share them with everyone? Ah.

(It contains mature content and coarse language.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)