Monday, October 12, 2009

Justine's Thoughts: The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti


The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
By Deb Caletti

Pages:

298

Book Description:

Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that’s slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5-million-dollar tip, and her life as she knows it is transformed.

At first it’s amazing: a hot new car, an enormous flat-screen TV, and presents for everyone she cares about. Indigo laughs off the warnings that money changes people, because she knows it won’t happen to her. Until the day she looks around and realizes everything important is slipping away and no amount of money can buy it all back. . . .

A quote:

“Love is about balance, and even doing the right thing is balance...”

Any thoughts:

  • Deb Caletti can certainly tell a story magically. I love how the words flow with such meaning and power. This is one of the books that you can say as a response to the question: “What book may have changed your life?” It makes you look around you and change your views on the things you take for granted.
  • This is the very first line of the story, “You can tell a lot about people from what they order for breakfast.” Simple and very intriguing, right? But right after that, it threw a bombshell on me with these examples. There were suddenly lots of characters whose actions were described in detail. It made it difficult to picture and made me kind of overwhelmed.
  • To me, it seems that Indigo Skye’s family and her boyfriend are enjoyable to have around. They get along well, they have fun, and they have this deep connection. But when it comes to her friend, Melanie, it feels like their friendship is based on something on the surface. They don’t connect, they don’t have this bond.
  • Throughout the novel, I noticed a lot of observations and even though the words sounded powerful, it bored me. So I skimmed and got to the real part, because once I’m given enough observations/examples, I get it. I understand it. So let’s move on to the story.
  • Therefore, I can’t say that this novel wasn’t enjoyable, because it was. For a bit. The plot interested me, though I also can’t say that it made it hard to turn the page, because it didn’t. Anyway, if you’re looking for a book that sends out a meaningful message, this one is definitely for you.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to get to this book this month. I really enjoyed Wild Roses by her and bought a few of her other books. *crossing my fingers I'll get to them this month*

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)