Thursday, January 14, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney by Suzanne Harper

The Secret Life of Sparrow Delaney
By Suzanne Harper

Pages:

362

Book Description:

Sparrow Delaney absolutely, positively does not want to be a medium like her six older sisters, her mother, and her grandmother. She does not want to see, hear smell, or talk to ghosts. If she sticks to her rules and doesn’t let anyone know that she can do all those things-- everywhere, all the time-- Sparrow just might pass as a normal tenth grader at her new high school. She makes a new best friend and meets an irritatingly appealing guy in her history class. But when another boy catches her eye, all Sparrow’s dreams of being ordinary go up in smoke. Because this boy is a dead one--a persistent, charming, infuriating ghost, who won’t let her be until she agrees to help him Move On.

A quote:

“A complicated life is an interesting life.”

Any thoughts:

  • This was a really enjoyable book from beginning to end, but it was halfway throughout the story when I became into it. I liked it a lot, however, and would recommend this to teens who love a light read.
  • Our heroine is Sparrow, who is easily likeable. Her voice is funny and realistic, as well as her other family members. She would react like a normal teenager who is eager and both nervous to start high school. I even related to her at some point, saying that I strongly agreed.
  • The ending I had mixed feelings about. It was pretty predictable and I probably would have liked a surprising ending. It was okay since everything is resolved, but I was left wanting for more of Sparrow Delaney’s life. What I was also left with was a perky smile on my face. It just happens that I’m a sucker for those kinds of endings.


8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book. I don't generally mind a predictable ending. Unpredictable endings are often too contrived, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cover and review! It sounds fun, but it's hard when books are slow to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fun, light read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the cover! Tarot cards! *__*

    Awesome review! Yep yep, I had that resolution and did it! Why not interview a tenner? Or interview someone whose book you reviewed (and liked/loved?) There's a ton of authors out there who would love to be featured! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A story line I don't think I've ever heard of before. Something new. I definitely like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I just found your blog today--not sure how I've missed it for so long--but I wanted to tell you I really enjoyed reading some of your posts. I'm always looking to connect with other writers, so I hope you don't mind that I'm following you now. (And yay! I was your 100th follower! *tosses confetti*)

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)