Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Steff's Blurbs: Swoon by Nina Malkin



"Imagine a paper bag filled with water. The water is a story. The paper bag, a storyteller. The point being that eventually all stories must be told. People simply aren't built to hold them in... Since a story, even a sad one, is a gift."


Description:

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut ... until Dice's perfect, priviledged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the posession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him - but not all that crazy about the havoc he's wreaking.

Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent - and irresistible - adversary before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.


Babbling Blurb:
If the cover art wasn't good enough to get me interested in this twist on the usual paranormal story, the description and quote from the back cover sure did! After spending quite a long time in the local Chapters trying to decide on just one book to buy, I'm glad that I picked this one. Dice is quite the likeable heroine, with her fiery attitude and New York City spunk. Her wit and humour usually got a few chuckles out of me although some references and jokes went completely over my head. But in the long run, that doesn't really matter. Her commentary was quite entertaining from beginning to end.

The male star is also quite interesting. Sure, the reason he possessed Pen was to get revenge. Sure, he turned a town into a bunch of sex-crazed fiends. Sure, he tantalized and used people for his own agenda. But what compelled him to do all of these things? Love. Yeah, this is the part where you "Swoon". Now I'm not saying that getting revenge is a good thing, but hey, it does make for a good story. Although some parts of the plot got me raising my eyebrows, I still enjoyed every little bit of it.

I must warn you guys, though. When I say sex-crazed fiends, I'm not kidding. There is a bunch of inappropriate little scenarios that occur in the story. While some people got really put off by this, I thought that it was completely fine and that it didn't ruin the story at all. I'm not sure what your tolerance for this kind of stuff is, though, so read at your own risk.

Overall, I thought that Swoon was a great read. There are times where there is a lapse in the time period which isn't indicated so it may get a bit confusing. As for complaints, that's pretty much all I've got. It is very entertaining and enjoyable and I'm hoping fans of the paranormal/romance genre will feel the same.

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Steff! I've been wanting to read this forever...and now I want to read it even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review :) and thanks for the warning. I love those! You rocking Steff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, i was going to pick this up at one point but backed out, maybe ill give it another try now :)

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)