Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday's Finest (02)



Friday's Finest is a new meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules:

~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.





"In a world beyond this one, that river goes on singing sweetly, enchanting us with what we want to hear, shaping what we need to see in order to keep going. In those waters, all disappointments are forgotten, our mistakes are forgiven. Gazing into them, we see a strong father. A loving mother. Warm rooms where we are sheltered, adored, wanted. And the uncertainty of our futures is nothing more than the fog of breath on a windowpane."


A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

I found this quote to be hauntingly beautiful because it captures what the girls in the story want and need the most. Its vivid imagery helps us picture this fantasy world where the girls have a loving family to protect them and a few more years to be innocent and carefree.



11 comments:

  1. This book has a beautiful cover. Great quote, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book now. Thank you for posting this! I'm going to a conference in NY in a couple of weeks and Libba Bray is one of the keynote speakers. Can't wait to hear her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, pretty! Hard to believe that's the same author that wrote Going Bovine. I haven't read it (yet), but there's a cow and gnome on the cover! Talk about versatility. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote is beautiful...and what a pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name of the new meme; it sounds so sophisticated. ;)
    And I agree with everyone that the quote is beautiful. I have trouble memorizing all of the little details in a book, let alone a quote. But I think this is one that really sticks with you after reading. Great choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quote, it's written so well! Love the series as well :)

    I posted a "friday's finest" on my blog too, (i don't know how to link it! anyone help?)
    http://holes-in-my-brain.blogspot.com/2010/01/fridays-finest-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that meme -- simple but meaningful, too.

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)