Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Dramarama by E. Lockhart

Dramarama
By E. Lockhart

Pages:

305

Book Description:

Two theatre-mad, self-invented, fabulositon Ohio teenagers.
One boy, one girl.
One gay, one straight.
One black, one white.
And SUMMER DRAMA CAMP.
It’s a season of
hormones,
gold lame,
hissy fits,
jazz ahnds,
song and dance,
true love,
and unitards
that will determine their future
-- and test their friendship.

A quote:

You can’t only do things because you know you’ll get a return on it later. You have to do them out of generosity. Be bighearted because you are, not because someone will pay you back somehow.

Any thoughts:

This is a tale of friendship during the summer at Wildewood, the drama camp that Sadye and Demi are staying at. It is also a time when she truly discovers herself and whether or not she belongs to the life of acting.

I found myself being neutral with Sadye (originally known as Sarah). Sometimes, I agree with what she does and say, but at other times, I just thought she should just let everything be. That’s her character. She’s bold, unafraid, outspoken and strong. She would often suggest ideas to the directors when she’s not supposed to, say things that she don’t mean, stand up to the teachers for the sake of the play, and most of all, take in the blame for something Demi did in order for him to get what he had always wanted.

However, I wasn’t very satisfied with Dramarama. I felt lost at certain moments and thought, “What is it we’re dealing with again?” Often, I would get a little confused, not because of the knowledgeable theatrical plays that are constantly popping up every few lines or so (I knew some of them and would get excited) and also not because of the various characters (whom I love for their bright personalities) throughout the book.

This isn’t the best of E. Lockhart, but this novel does send out a message of self-discovery and achieving one’s dream while encountering obstacles in the way.


5 comments:

  1. Great review, Justine! I've heard mixed things about this, so I appreciate your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review, and that's a great quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this before, but I think I'll read it now. I like E. Lockhart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This isn’t the best of E. Lockhart, but this novel does send out a message of self-discovery and achieving one’s dream while encountering obstacles in the way."

    I felt the same exact way. I also got annoyed with how Sadie's love interest just-POOF!-vanishes. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review!
    I didn't think it was weird that the love interst vanished at the end; outta sight, outta mind, right?
    I really liked this book, it was a lot of fun, and I love E's sorta sour endings.

    ReplyDelete

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)