Thursday, December 23, 2010

Justine's Thoughts: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods #1)
By Melissa de la Cruz

Source: Library
Pages:
302
Book Description:

Within New York City’s most elite families, there lurks a secret society of celebrated Americans whose ancestors sailed on the Mayflower. Its members are the powerful and the wealthy--and, in fact, they are not human. They are the Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires.

Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapidated mansion. Schuyler is a loner. . .and happy that way.

But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler’s life changes dramatically. She discovers a mosaic of blue veins on her arms, and craves raw meat. The death of a popular girl from Duchesne is surrounded by a mystery that haunts her. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?

Steeped in vampire lore and set against the glittery backdrop of New York City, Blue Bloods will be devoured by fans of Melissa de la Cruz.

A quote:

No matter how overused and abused it was, sorry was still a powerful word.

Any thoughts:

I was never good at history and I never liked it either. That was why I was a little hesitant before I decided to go ahead and give it a try.

Melissa de la Cruz’s take on vampires is unique. I mean, blue blood? That seems pretty cool to me. And hey, they glow at night instead of sparkle in the sun! (I just had to throw that in there.) But what I noticed is that Melissa de la Cruz takes the time to explain the history and explicit details such as the outfits and houses (more like ancient mansions) of characters. She has such a wide imagination, and gives a vivid view of the scene as it is happening. Because of this, the overall pace is awkward and way too slow for my liking. It takes a lot of getting used to, but I eventually did.

The characters were all very interesting; although when I come across one that has an unpronounceable name, it bugs me. Take for example the name Schuyler. I thought it was “School-er” but then her friend Oliver called her “Sky” for short. I should have known. There were other words too such as Duchesne, Croatan, Roanoke, etc…With an omniscient narration, there is a sense of mystery that tugs on you, keeping your brain alert for any clues. I am definitely interested in the characters, as I have much more to learn about them. Especially Jack Force and his twin, Mimi Force. The two of them ignites something in me and just makes me irritated. But the others I’m excited to read more about.

Blue Bloods really is just the introduction. A great one that shows the way to a mystery-filled, anxious series with love, cunningness and evil waiting at one corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show us your bookful of thoughts! :)